Monday, May 16, 2022

Introduction

      Hello there! My name is Kayla Yanez, and I am so excited to be blogging for my Art F200X class this semester. I am a non-traditional student, returning to obtain my bachelor's after a long break from school and work. In 2010 I graduated from a surgical technology program, and I worked in that career field until 2015, at which time I became a stay-at-home mom. I recently decided to return to school and expand on my medical career by majoring in Biological Sciences, though I am still uncertain where I may end up career-wise. Last March, I moved to Alaska with my family and have fallen in love with its beauty. I feel incredibly lucky to return to school here and call the Fairbanks area my temporary home. 


I chose to showcase a painting that is truly Alaskan and shows the sense of community I felt immediately after moving here.

This piece of art is a watercolor by Rie Munoz, Unloading Walrus Meat 1986. The painting depicts a group of men working together to hunt walrus as food for their families. I especially love the warm colors against the icy water. This artist's pieces are typically not realistic, but instead, capture the spirit.

       I enjoy painting as well as photography, though I will never claim to be any good at either. I believe art is more about the feelings you have, or release while creating the art and less about the finished project itself. I frequently visit museums of all kinds, but my favorite was the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum in Seattle. I love seeing different art mediums used like glass, metal, fabrics, etc., and am always in awe of the talent behind creating such beautiful works from these materials.

Here is a link to view a short video of the Chihuly exhibit.

Chihuly Garden and Glass

3 comments:

  1. I love that you went back to school and are doing amazing things! I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved Rie Munoz's work for years and have several of her prints. I really like her use of shape in this work as well as the contrast between warm and cool colors. Best of luck with your return to school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything you said about the piece of art you choose, and the feelings created within art. Beyond that, I relate a lot to what you said as a whole. I'm just now returning to school as well, since becoming a stay at home mom. I'm so glad Alaska has been so welcoming to you; it sure has so much to offer. Brace yourself for the Fairbanks summer heat, its much more mild on the Kenai.

    ReplyDelete

Non-Western Art: Saudi Arabia

Wall painting by Fatimah Faye'e Alalmai, Saudi Arabia, 2016             Al-Qatt Al-Asiri  is an ancient art form in the Asiri, or southe...